Friday, May 9, 2014

Watercolor Background Card


Here is another card I made for my watercolor class.  I made the background with distress inks and water on watercolor paper.  I saturated the paper with water and light wash of ink.  You then put a stencil over the top and the water is supposed to pool in the holes.  I sorta did not think it had enough color so put more watered down distress ink in the holes of the stencil.  I really like the muted soft background I achieved.  You will have to come back and see some other cards using the same technique and stencil - how different they turned out.  Unfortunately I have no idea who made the stencil - no name on it.

The stamp set is from Unity Stamps.  There were butterflies in the stamp set and if you look you can see some muted stamped ones in the background.  I punched out two butterflies.  One I colored with the distress ink and glued down - shhh - don't tell anyone - there is a bird underneath that butterfly.  The other one is punched from the cardstock of the card base.  I have seen all these cards made with the image off center so I wanted to try that.  I added a few pearls to the card.

7 comments:

Donna K said...

just popping over via FB to see your creation. beautifully done! love the colors and how you included the muted butterflies. have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Maraviwow! Beautiful Mariposasss ;)
It's my spanglish way to say super cool.
I love it! Very nice job :)

Dolores Raml said...

Gorgeous card, sounds like a neat technique. Love how you added the butterflies.

Kris said...

Beautifully done Barb. I'm going to play with this technique more on the weekend.

chera said...

mine didn't turn out as I had hoped it would, but yours is stunning!

Conniecrafter said...

I really like the colors in this one, very pretty!

Dixie Cochran said...

Perfect background for the embellies you chose!