Sunday, July 13, 2014

Mixed Media Retirement Card

I found a new challenge site that does a monthly challenge and it has to do with Mixed Media.  I love to play with Mixed Media.  I have made canvases, ornaments and cards.  I make mostly cards so The Mixed Media Card Challenge blog was made for me.   The cue word for the challenge is nature.

I needed a retirement card for someone on campus who is retiring to start a new adventure with a company in Florida.  I wanted to wish her well and thank her.  I returned to school in my 40's to finish my degree. Chris was the instructor for the two main classes in my major.  She made me stretch my abilities as a student. I am sure she regretted that several times when she had to read the papers I had to write for each class. One paper was 50 pages long.


My card has a background made with distress inks on watercolor.  I swiped the inks on my craft sheet and added water to them and then dunked my paper in the ink/water mixture.  The green was a little muddy so I used my green gelato and added it to the green sections to brighten the color.  The flower stamp is from Hero Arts.  They were colored with a variety of mediums.  Watercolor pencils and distress inks.  I may still add some glitter to the flowers.  It was supposed to be a flower on a stem but I did not like that so please do not look under the flowers.  The top flower is pop dotted for dimension.  I used embossing paste and a Hero Arts stencil to add the colored dots.  I put the embossing paste on a piece of wax paper and then dabbed some distress paints next to it to color the white embossing paste.  I didn't want the dots to jump off the page; I wanted them to blend more with the background.  I think I achieved the right color.  The embossing paste dots made me like the card.  I just new stuff in the mail yesterday and this banner die and sentiment from Simon Says perfectly finished the card.  It is also pop dotted.  The pearls and enamel dots were added around the card to put something in the empty spaces.


I hope you enjoy my mixed media retirement card.  Thanks for the great challenge.

6 comments:

Julia Aston said...

I love the green/blue colors on this - with the great texture of the paste and enamel dots - a lovely retirement card for your friend! thanks so much for joining us in the Mixed Media Card Challenge!

Loll said...

Love the blue and green color combo too ... bright and fun! The paste dots add so much texture and interest. Thanks for playing along with us at Mixed Media Card Challenge.

sannalippert said...

I too like your color combo alot!! and that is one pretty card! thanks for playing along with us at MMCC :).

Anonymous said...

Awesome texture and colors! Thanks for playing this week at MMCC!

shirley-bee said...

Love the serene colours and the dotty background. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Card Challenge :)

Shery Russ said...

I enjoyed reading how you put this beautiful card together! Awesome colors!