Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Mixed Media Holiday Card


The "monthly Take the Challenge with Mou" on the Faber Castell Design Memory Blog is to make a gift for someone you are thankful for.  This is a card but to many of my friends - my cards made especially for them - is a gift they cherish.  I have several friends that bring them out each year for the holiday. I am so thankful for my friends - they have gotten me through some rough times and helped celebrate the good times.

This is approximately 5.5 inches square.  The design was done on heavy watercolor paper.  The paper has a layer of Gesso on it.  I then took a Gelato and created the blue color for the sky.  I used a darker color to add some shadows in the blue.  I took a stencil and made white dots on the blue with the white Big Pen.  It adds a very subtle depth to the blue.  I stamped some snowflakes in a gray ink or was it grey ink.  The snowman and sentiment are from Cosmo Cricket.  The sentiment was colored with green acrylic paint which was watered down.  The hills of snow started as fabric.  I was lucky enough to find the Glass Bead Glitter Gel and brushed a coating of that on top of my hills.  There is also a light layer on the snowman.  It sparkles.  It is beautiful.  I added some shadows to the hill edges with a grey or gray Gelato.  I had some rub ons and added them randomly to the background and to the snowman. I also splattered some metallic silver paint on the background.

To finish the card, I pop dotted the snowman and sentiment.  I tied a red gingham bow to add balance to the card.  Three small red pearls were added to the snowflakes to add another touch of red to the card.

I am also entering the card in the Mixed Media Card Challenge.  The challenge is a Christmas card.


  Well it was fun getting messy and I have one more Christmas card made.

Thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

crafty creations said...

Stunning card love the design and colour

Ivanka said...

I love this! So many great elements and wonderful color and texture. And I know for a fact that your friends are grateful to have you in their lives. I know I am! Hugs.

sannalippert said...

I love this card! the snowman immediately made me smile! such a happy Christmas card! thanks for playing along with us at MMCC :)

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic card, love the design! Thanks for sharing at MMCC!

My Paper Epiphany said...

I love your bright a cheery card! Thanks so much for sharing at the Mixed Media card Challenge!

Lyndal said...

LOVE all the texture in your gorgeous mixed media card! So glad you joined in the fun @ the Mixed Media Card Challenge!

Deepti said...

This is so fun, fabulous texturing :) thank you for sharing with MMCC !

Maria said...

This card is so awesome! LOVE LOVE everything about it. Thanks for playing along at MMCC!!