Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Mixed Media Mojo September Challenge

It is the first of the month and time for a new monthly challenge on Mixed Media Mojo.  The challenge this month is Back to School with the added element of Book Pages.


Yes today is the day our students go back to school.  We can't start school until September 1.  I remember when we started in August.  Of course, the weather is going to be very hot and very muggy for the first days.  The poor teachers with all those smelly bodies in the classroom.

I decided to make a small canvas.


The canvas is covered with book pages.  A layer of gesso was added to the book pages.  The yellow color is a combination of two distress inks.  I love how the color turned out.  I have accumulated many dictionaries so I cut the definition of "teach" out of several of them to place on the canvas.  The A, apple and notebook edge were cut with my Silhouette.  I colored them with paint and then used Brushed Corduroy distress ink to add color/shading to the letter and apple.  I had also used the ink on the yellow.  Everything was adhered to the canvas with gel medium.  Embossing paste was added in two corners for some extra texture.  I then dug out my rub ons and started adding them to the canvas.

 I struggled with this challenge but I am very happy with how the canvas turned out.  I believe it will be a gift to a couple I know who are both teachers.

Please come join us on Mixed Media Mojo with our current challenge.

No comments: