Thursday, October 6, 2016

Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Monthly Challenge

Once again it is time for the Mixed Media challenge on Happy Little Stampers.  This month the challenge is Nature.


I have been wanting to make a thank you card for a store in Salem, Oregon where I took classes this summer.  I was lucky enough to take classes from Dina Wakely.  The store was wonderful and the staff was fabulous also.  I will go back when I can afford the airline ticket and classes.  I am lucky I have a cousin who likes me to visit.

The image I used on this card is a napkin from the store.  For a small fee they provided lunch every day and this made it so convenient.  I did use a clean napkin.  I brought one home especially for this project.  I hope they recognize it.


 If you have never used napkins for card making or other projects, you gently separate the layers.  You only want the top layer.  I then adhere the napkin to a piece of card stock with gel medium.  I wanted to bring out the blue in the napkin so I matted it with blue card stock.  The card base was made from the same card stock.  The background base was actually a plaid paper (I know I don't believe it either but I did do it).  I applied a layer of gesso and cream paint mixed together and then I got out a Tattered Angels (old color) and sprayed and sprayed and ended up with this color.  It is actually quite beautiful.  I also recently acquired a jar of gold gesso.  I started to rub this on the background and image and the sentiment piece.  Well when I was doing this my card base fell into the gesso.  Oops but it turned out OK.  I will explain later.

The image was pop dotted onto the card base.  The sentiment was stamped and added to card front.  The napkin had 4 images on it so I had extra butterflies to work with.  I adhered two of them to card stock and then I fussy cut them out.  I added some gold gesso on each layer before I glued the layers together in the middle.  The butterflies are very dimensional as you can see in the picture below.



Remember that card base that fell into the gesso.  Well I wiped a bunch of it off and then I grabbed a stencil and stenciled a design on the back on the  card.  I think it was a good solution to my accident.
I also stenciled the same design on the front of my envelope.


Please come and join us at Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge and I hope you have no accidents like I did.

1 comment:

Inkyfingers said...

This is soooo creative Barb and I love how even your happy mistake turned out so wonderful. Great design! I am awed by how creative the Team has been with this challenge.