Saturday, May 6, 2017

Happy Little Stampers May Mixed Media Challenge

It is May - time for a new mixed media challenge at Happy Little Stampers.


Now what is your definition of a SPLAT.  There are many different ways to incorporate this into your mixed media challenge.  I know that I have splat stamps, splat stencils, I think I can cut splats on my Silhouette and there is the wonderful standby of loading a paint brush with paint and splatting it across your creation.  I think I always have to add this last type of splats on everything I create.  One must be careful not to oversplat.  (I created a new word.)

I was having trouble this month.  I couldn't get started but a friend put me on the road to creating and I was happy with what I did.

Here is my card.  I used mostly Dina Wakely paints and the bird and sentiment are her stamps.


Here is a close up of the sentiment.


Here is a close up of the bird sitting on his branch of corrugated cardboard.  I think she is gathering thread to make her nest.



The background started as mixed media paper with pieces of book pages adhered to it with gel medium.  Gesso was smeared over the top of the book pages.


Embossing paste was added in several spots through stencils.  Everything was left to dry.  The hardest part of mixed media is allowing things to dry.


Paint was smeared across the page.  Water was added in places to help it move around.


Gesso was applied through a circle stencil by Dina Wakely.  You can also see where I stamped with a script stamp and blue ink.  I took a bottle cap and dipped it in black ink and put it around each white circle.  I had bought a new triangle stamp so I had to add a few of those to the front.  The background was matted with black.


Now we are going to create our bird.  Gesso was added to a book page and yellow paint added over that.


I stamped the ink in black and embossed it with clear embossing powder.  I did two in case I goofed up in my painting.


Here is my bird painted.  Not the best job in the world but it is OK.


I did the sentiment the same way.  You can see the corrugated cardboard on which paint was smeared.


Everything was added to the card front with gel medium.

I then added my splats of white.  I got some big ones and some small ones.  I love to do this and usually I splat myself in the process.

Come join us at Happy Little Stampers for our May Mixed Media Challenge.

No comments: